Monday 12 March 2007

Obesity in Pregnancy

A new study reported in this article says that obese mothers-to-be need more NHS (National Health Service) care than pregnant women of a healthy weight. Obese pregnant women need closer monitoring and special equipment and are at risk of complications such as pre-eclampsia.

In an earlier post on this blog, I wrote about the connection between weight and pre-eclampsia, revealed by a research, and I posted this link on Mumsnet, a UK-based website for mothers. A couple of women responded by questioning the research I had cited, and a few others went as far as making false and malicious accusations against me that had nothing to do with the research. I asked the owners of the website to delete the defamatory responses but they refused to do so, saying it was all about freedom of expression. Long story short, I have stopped visiting Mumsnet and I would not recommend the site to any mother who is seeking a forum for mature and reasonable people. But I digress.

There have been suggestions that regular weighing of pregnant women be re-introduced at antenatal checks in the UK to help reduce the health risks facing obese mothers-to-be. I think it's more important that more women are made aware of the health benefits of maintaining a healthy weight before conception.

No comments: