Saturday 17 February 2007

Breastfeeding and Social Class

Breastfeeding tends to arouse strong emotions among many people. When advocates and opponents of the practice engage in passionate debate, sparks often fly - enough to start raging fires.

And breastfeeding in public, that's even more controversial. Let's not go there. I enjoy breastfeeding my son, in public and in private. Those who are offended by the sight of a mother breastfeeding her child can always look away, just like I do when I see people wearing outfits that reveal more than I'd like to see.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the results of a study on breastfeeding that I read about in this article. I knew breastfeeding had many health benefits, but I wasn't aware that breastfed children were more likely to move up the social ladder as adults. That's what this research shows. Of course, not everyone will agree this is beneficial. But for those who do, that's one more reason to breastfeed, rather than bottlefeed, their child.

No comments: